Professor emeritus in isotope geology
Phone: +46 (0)8 519 540 42
Billing and mailing address:
See the Staff and Contact page
- Ph.D., Stockholm University, Sweden, 1981
- Research in hard rock geology and isotope geology.
My research is focused on the evolution of continental crust, studied primarily through age determinations and other isotope investiga-tions of rocks. Most of my work has concerned the Scandinavian Caledonides and the Precambrian crust in Sweden with surrounding areas. In recent years I have also been involved in projects in northwestern Russia and Ukraine, where I am particularly interested in the oldest crust.
The research is based on precise analysis of variations in isotope composition of different naturally occurring elements in rocks and minerals. I have also interested myself in the development of micro-analytical techniques. Most of my external funding has come from the Swedish Research Council.
Other Professional Roles
- Member of the Advisory Council of the Swedish Polar Research Secreteriat since 2011, appointed until the end of 2018.
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Swedish LifeWatch consortium since 2011, appointed until the end of 2017.
- Member of the Nobel Foundation Council of Trustees 2014-2017.
- First Vice President of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences 2010-1013.
- Chair of CETAF, the Consortium of European Taxonomic Facilities, 2006-2009.
- Head of the Research Division at the Swedish Museum of Natural History 2000-2005.
- Member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences since 2001.
- Chair of the Swedish non-profit association Geology Day 2002-2006
- Chair of the Swedish pest insect group PRE-MAL, Pest Research and Education - Museums, Archives and Libraries, 2001-2013.
- Chair of the Swedish National Committee for Geology 1999-2001.
- Assar Hadding’s prize in Geology, shared with Martin Whitehouse 2016. Awarded by the Royal Physiographic Society of Lund 2016.
- The European Union Cultural Heritage Prize Europa Nostra 2004, awarded to PRE-MAL during my period as PRE-MAL Chair.
- The Wickman Prize in Geochemistry and Isotope Geology 2003, awarded by the Geological Society of Sweden.
- Geologist of the Year 2001, awarded by the Geo-section of Naturvetarna, the Swedish Association of Professional Scientists.
- Sigrid Arrhenius Stipend 1981, awarded by Stockholm University for outstanding thesis in Natural Sciences.